Before firmly planting itself as one of the country’s finest off-road rim manufacturers in 1998, MKW Wheels started off exporting US-made replicas to Asian markets. That was in 1995. 3 years later, the company had gained enough technological know-how and had the talent required to make their own wheels for the aftermarket crowd.
Over the last 25 years, MKW has developed into a formidable name to be reckoned with. It has several plants, cleverly-located warehouses for faster shipping, a flexible and reliable supply chain, and hundreds of models of rims that will fit any vehicle currently plying the roads of the United States.
Did you know it also owns 2 other brands, each of which has a separate fanbase? They are Hostile Wheels and the much-loved RSR Off-Road Wheels. Of these, RSR is wildly popular with competitive drivers and has won several dirt trail races.
Formally known as MKW Alloys Inc., MKW Wheels are available in several different sizes, bolt patterns, and lug counts, besides some truly inspiring and aggressive styles and designs.
In case you are in the mood to go for a spanking-new set of rims come 2023, you must give the following 5 models (recommended by experts) a try.
Who knows, perhaps you will end up being a lifelong admirer of MKW!
5 best MKW Wheels for off-roading
Recently, MKW subdivided its primary cast wheel business to form a new entity called ‘MKW Off-Road.’ This list contains models from all of its extant series. Plus, the rims listed have impressive warranties on finish and structural integrity which you’ll find out once you place an order!
- M95 Off-Road: MKW’s M95 model has been in circulation for many years now. It is probably one of its most successful products ever and has received several updates over some time now including changes in spoke design and front-machining. If you own a pickup truck that is not lifted, the M95 off-road rim is the one for you.
The 20-inch satin black model is the bestseller and has been seen on everything from old Ford Rangers XLTs to the latest Silverado and the GMC Sierra.
With its custom offset range, the M95 should work pretty well with full-sized SUVs too. The cast aluminum rim comes in 3 bolt patterns and is perfect for your oversized tires.
- M203 Off-Road: The subtle matte bronze M203 MKW Wheels are some of the most handsome we have come across. Yes, it is aggressive and muscular while retaining a very low weight. It’s also one of a handful of models that can claim to have put a different spin on the classic 6-spoke design.
The M203 is manufactured using high-grade 6061-T6 aluminum alloy like all models here. Its USP is its diminutive diameter. At just 17-inches, this rim lends itself to all SUVs, compact cars, and pickups.
We used to own a set of these rims to prop up our ramshackle Wrangler. It was magical; with the bronze rims on, the Wrangler looked years younger!
If you are a newbie to the intensely competitive off-roading circles, check out the M203 today!
- M204 Off-Road: The M204 is a slightly more refined version of the previous model on this list. It was launched to ward off growing competition from the likes of Fuel and Blaque Diamond rims. This 1-piece wonder weighs the same as the M203 but has a simulated beadlock and a removable central hub cap.
It is one of the handful of MKW rims that have mesh-like spoke designs. What truly sets this model apart is the enhanced load and speed ratings, which takes it beyond the M203. While both available sizes – 18 and 20-inches – sell in large numbers, you can opt for the smaller rim because it is far more versatile.
The M204 has adorned the newest Ford F-150 Raptor and the Chevrolet Suburban. It’s also popular with demanding clients who own modded off-roaders.
Last month, we saw 20-inch M204 rims on a Hummer H2. It really is a fine product from MKW Wheels.
- M208 Off-Road Matte Bronze: The M208 is currently the flagship of the MKW Off-Road brand and is available in 18-inches only. That is likely to change in 2023 as there is news of another (bigger) sibling about to make an appearance.
The one major difference between the M208 and the preceding M204 is weight: the M208 is a mere 23 pounds but it has a load rating of 1374. This particular rim has 3 matte finishes you can try out, but the bronze coating takes pole position regardless of the vehicle you are driving.
The 10-spoke design is rendered even more appealing with the concave lip and the muscular central portions. We have never used these rims personally but they are always spoken highly of by expert technicians and some of our off-roading partners in blogging!
- M94 Off-Road Chrome: Without the chrome coating, it looks very similar to the M95. But the M94 has 2 aspects that set it apart: the positive-only offset and the 2 bolt patterns on offer. While the rim is also available in a satin black finish, the chrome option is a clear stand-out not merely for its aesthetics but also because it is so easy to clean and maintain.
MKW Wheels had clearly thought about that last point before introducing the model. This is a company that notes down client feedback dutifully.
A few last words
Please purchase genuine MKW Wheels, whether cast or forged, from authorized and established outlets only. There are several fake rims that look very similar and are available at lower prices.
You can perhaps contact AudioCity USA of Santa Fe Springs, CA. It’s one retailer we have come to rely upon for very rare models and splendid advice.
Else, buy your rims from the company’s official website!